Monday, October 17, 2005

The NYT and me

I have been a subscriber to the New York Times since 1998 (if not earlier, but I can't prove it).

I think the NYT and Judith Miller have abandoned all journalistic ethics. They have behaved as a mouthpiece of the government and fed us propaganda about Iraq. They can no longer claim to belong to the Fourth Estate. Judith Miller has misused the First Amendment; she should have taken the Fifth. She has damaged every journalist who will have a legitimate reason to stand by the First Amendment. Her 85 days in jail is way too short.

I will not purchase the New York Times again until it comes clean, and fires not just Judith Miller but everyone else who is responsible. It owes all of us a complete accounting and it needs a purge.

I hope everyone else does the same. I certainly urge them to do so.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been closely following the daily twists and turns in the Judy Miller & Plamegate saga. Some journos working with Miller have now written how she often functioned not as an observer but as an advocate-participant while on the Iraq assignment. The NYT management has allowed this dishonest urchin run the institution that it once was into the gound.

Anonymous said...

Digby has a chapter on the Miller Purana in his latest filing.

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2005_10_16_digbysblog_archive.html#112969465823381659

Anonymous said...

Arun,

Here's more from the irrepressible Billmon.

http://billmon.org/archives/002282.html