Sunday, July 30, 2006

First they came for...

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller


The modern version would be somewhat different.

First the Iraqi civilians were killed in military operations. > 39,000.
I did not speak out because we were spreading democracy, and we thought Saddam had WMD, and the Iraqis should have overthrown Saddam and these were necessary sacrifices for freedom.

Then the Lebanese civilians were killed in military operations.
I did not speak out because the Lebanese should have disarmed the Hezbollah themselves, and solved world hunger besides. They should have crossed bombed out bridges and driven on bombed out roads to some unknown succour somewhere; they had ample warning. By staying back they became an existential threat to Israel.

Israeli civilians were killed in military operations.
I did not speak out because I did not speak out for the Lebanese either.

The next chapter is yet to be written.

1 comment:

etlamatey said...

Rather, sing out. Seems to work.

What's with rhyme?