Monday, June 11, 2007

Local Canidae

Third time I've seen these on my early morning walk. The first pic shows the closest I got today with the 70-200 mm lens. Second and third show crops. I'm annoyed (at myself) that the crops are not sharp.

Not sure what the animals are - foxes or coyotes? I think the pics are merely an existence proof. Will try again.

Since coyotes are supposedly very shy, I tend to think these are not. On the other hand, the county news has been carrying news of coyotes, so that is why my thoughts veer that way.

canine0

canine2

canine

On this last one, you can see that the camera is really focused on that vegetation at the bottom left of the frame. Grrr.....novice still!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

bhaanji says foxes!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like you used a wider aperture (greater that f/4, perhaps?).

Also - another strategy is to use only the central focus point. That way you nail the focus dead on (assuming it is reasonably non-active).

Arun said...

I find I have to have set the central focus point before I come across the animals. The camera spooks them (probably rightly so - a human raising something to his eye they should assume to be a gun :) ).

The morning light was very dim, I was shooting at ISO 1000 (which I had cleverly set beforehand), and still had an aperture of 3.5 at 1/100 or so.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the C button can be programmed for central focus point plus an aperture setting (I haven't tried it myself). That way when you spot a fox you simpy turn the dial to C and fire away.