Saturday, February 02, 2008

Gerbera Daisies

Gerbera Daisies

Details

1/8 sec at f/1.8 (camera on tripod)
85mm (Canon EF85mm f/1.8 USM)
ISO 100
No flash
Canon EOS 5D


My comments - I took two dozen variations with the 24-105mm and the 85 mm lenses, with dark and light backgrounds, without and with flash (direct and reflected). Somehow none of them capture the exact color and warmth of the flowers. This one is the closest out of the camera. Playing with all the sliders in Adobe Lightroom doesn't improve things. I'm wondering if maybe the precise color is outside the gamut of the computer LCD screen. More likely it is my novicehood. Perhaps I need to get a color card to be able to learn how to do precise color corrections.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must have done the obvious white balance and the exposure sliders adjustments in ACR. Did you also play with the calibration tab? The reds being off seems to point to the calibration being off - you'll notice it with the calibration sliders right away. Tip: covert the RAW file using DPP (which should have come with your 5D) and see if it gives more realistic colours.

Arun said...

I played around in DPP 3.2, but am not yet familiar enough with its controls.

Arun said...

Adobe Lightroom 1.3.1 is using a ACR 3.3 profile for the 5D. I haven't hit the jackpot playing with the sliders for Camera Calibration that are there.