Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Chickadee

Straight from the camera - resized only:

chickadee

A crop (original of the crop is 1844 x 1229, but not sure how to get that into flickr)

chickadee2

EXIF doesn't tell the truth because Canon stacked extenders don't register.
300 mm f/2.8 + stacked 1.4x, 2x extenders - equivalent to 840mm f/8
Handheld, 1/60 second!!!! (this is where image stabilization comes into play). Non-enthusiasts may want to know that the old rule of thumb is that for such a focal length, I need to have a shutter speed of 1/840 seconds or faster. My upper arm was braced against my chest, but still, I'm not *that* steady.)

This is simply incredible, amazing technology!

PS: I'm thinking that just like the focal length recorded in the EXIF is no longer correct with stacked extenders, perhaps the shutter speed is also not correct. I'll try without extenders in similar light and see if a f/8 exposure really is 1/60 seconds. Since the sun is already setting, I'll have to try some other day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arun, what a smart looking chickadee! But your photo of him looks *especially* smart!!!

And while the cherry blossoms have come and gone for me, they still await you...

Arun said...

Cynthia,
You being poetic? :)

Chickadees are always fun to watch, 'cause they'll take a seed from the feeder and then find a perch and work away at it with enthusiasm. Then flit back for more.

-Arun

Anonymous said...

Your pics of birds and flowers must bring the poet out of me; I'm a cheesy one at best, though...

But you OTOH, it sounds like you've got a way with birds as well as with words.

Anonymous said...

MG,

very very pretty :) Good new toy!!!

BG