Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Ayn Rand: sociopath


In brief, she found the epitome of her philosophy - "I am like the state, what is good for me is right" - in a repeat criminal who kidnapped and brutally murdered a 12-year old girl.

And this assessment which I endorse:
By the appraisal of any normal mind, there can be little doubt that William Edward Hickman was a vicious psychopath of the worst order. That Ayn Rand saw something heroic, brilliant, and romantic in this despicable creature is perhaps the single worst indictment of her that I have come across. It is enough to make me question not only her judgment, but her sanity.

At this point in my life, I did not think it was possible to significantly lower my estimate of Ayn Rand, or to regard her as even more of a psychological and moral mess than I had already taken her to be.

I stand corrected.